What is BehindTheBeat?
Listen and enjoy our library of over 600 audio portraits of artists and their albums for free.
These finely edited features present the music and voices of artists discussing their songs, their sounds, their bands, their lives and their creative influences.
Search below by artist name or by genre to hear your favorite musicians, and to discover new ones!
Now with over 2,500 audio segments bringing music fans, musicians and music closer together.
- Chuck Wicks: Turning Point
- Green River Ordinance: Fifteen
- Jack Wall: Call of Duty, Black Ops III
- Black Violin: Stereotypes
- Glen Hansard: Didn’t He Ramble
- Dominik Scherrer: The Missing
- Jonathan McReynolds: Life Music, Stage Two
- Bobby Long: Ode To Thinking
- Alicia Witt: Revisionary History
- Angaleena Presley: American Middle Class
- Pat McGee: Pat McGee
- John Anderson: Goldmine
- Whitey Morgan: Sonic Ranch
- Anat Cohen: Luminosa
- Meredith Monk: Piano Songs
- Gretchen Peters: Blackbirds
- Louise Goffin: Appleonfire
- Mohammed Fairouz: Follow, Poet
- Michael J. Smith & Friends: The Spirit of Christmas
- Patty Larkin: Still Green
- Somi: The Lagos Music Salon
- The Barr Brothers: Sleeping Operator
- Lee Ann Womack: The Way I’m Livin’
- Montell Jordan: Captured
- Marco Benevento: Swift
Tag Archives: Red House Records
Rosalie Sorrels’ Grammy-nominated CD is a special live performance from Harvard’s Sanders Theater recorded in 2002. Sorrels grew up in Idaho wanting to be an opera singer. She became a renowned folk singer and member of the Beat Generation’s circle … Continue reading
John Gorka is a most unusual and talented singer-songwriter. His lyrics and music tug at emotions and feelings that linger beneath the surface of everyday conversations. His latest recording, "Old Futures Gone," is an uneasy meditation on the emotional life … Continue reading
Zero Church Street in Cambridge, MA, is the address of the Institute on the Arts and Civic Dialogue, founded by writer-playwright Anna Deavere Smith. Two years ago, Suzzy Roche spent time at the Institute where this CD of personal prayers … Continue reading
Loudon Wainwright III’s "Last Man on Earth" is a poignant, generous and at times lighthearted look at some of the hardest challenges a person can face at once: the passing of a parent; realizations of one’s own mortality and the … Continue reading
Singer-songwriter Lucy Kaplansky is a keen observor of the emotional ground people cross as they struggle with their lives and loves. On "Every Single Day," she sings heartfelt and delicately rendered songs of hope and sorrow, understanding and sometimes, redemption. … Continue reading