What is BehindTheBeat?
Listen and enjoy our library of over 600 audio portraits of artists and their albums for free.
These finely edited features present the music and voices of artists discussing their songs, their sounds, their bands, their lives and their creative influences.
Search below by artist name or by genre to hear your favorite musicians, and to discover new ones!
Now with over 2,500 audio segments bringing music fans, musicians and music closer together.
- Chuck Wicks: Turning Point
- Green River Ordinance: Fifteen
- Jack Wall: Call of Duty, Black Ops III
- Black Violin: Stereotypes
- Glen Hansard: Didn’t He Ramble
- Dominik Scherrer: The Missing
- Jonathan McReynolds: Life Music, Stage Two
- Bobby Long: Ode To Thinking
- Alicia Witt: Revisionary History
- Angaleena Presley: American Middle Class
- Pat McGee: Pat McGee
- John Anderson: Goldmine
- Whitey Morgan: Sonic Ranch
- Anat Cohen: Luminosa
- Meredith Monk: Piano Songs
- Gretchen Peters: Blackbirds
- Louise Goffin: Appleonfire
- Mohammed Fairouz: Follow, Poet
- Michael J. Smith & Friends: The Spirit of Christmas
- Patty Larkin: Still Green
- Somi: The Lagos Music Salon
- The Barr Brothers: Sleeping Operator
- Lee Ann Womack: The Way I’m Livin’
- Montell Jordan: Captured
- Marco Benevento: Swift
Tag Archives: Koch
Marc Mellits is a composer-performer who writes intricate, polyrhythmic music where nuanced individual elements create a surprising whole. "Paranoid Cheese," featuring his five-member Mellits Consort, combines elements of modern minimalist technique, classical training and a love of modern rock. The … Continue reading
Steve Forbert’s tribute to Jimmie Rodgers, "Any Old Time," has been nominated for a 2004 Grammy in the best traditional folk category. Rodgers was country music’s first superstar, grabbing the public’s imagination between 1927 and his death in 1933. His … Continue reading
Stabbing Westward’s latest CD is an audacious and inspiring leap. The platinum-selling group has shelved their industrial-metal sound and emerged as a striking and powerful guitar-driven rock band. Singer/songwriter Christopher Hall’s writing and vocals have never been better, and the … Continue reading
"I only speak when I have to speak," says MC KRS-ONE, who rose from living on the streets at age 15 to become one of the most respected MC’s in hip-hop. "The Teacher," as he calls himself, has much to … Continue reading
Underground Hip-Hop MC Afu-Ra put everything into the creation of his first full-length solo release. "The Body of the Life Force," he says, is full of "dope beats and dope lyrics," and Afu-Ra is all about "knowledge, wisdom and understanding". … Continue reading