What is BehindTheBeat?
Listen and enjoy our library of over 600 audio portraits of artists and their albums for free.
These finely edited features present the music and voices of artists discussing their songs, their sounds, their bands, their lives and their creative influences.
Search below by artist name or by genre to hear your favorite musicians, and to discover new ones!
Now with over 2,500 audio segments bringing music fans, musicians and music closer together.
- Chuck Wicks: Turning Point
- Green River Ordinance: Fifteen
- Jack Wall: Call of Duty, Black Ops III
- Black Violin: Stereotypes
- Glen Hansard: Didn’t He Ramble
- Dominik Scherrer: The Missing
- Jonathan McReynolds: Life Music, Stage Two
- Bobby Long: Ode To Thinking
- Alicia Witt: Revisionary History
- Angaleena Presley: American Middle Class
- Pat McGee: Pat McGee
- John Anderson: Goldmine
- Whitey Morgan: Sonic Ranch
- Anat Cohen: Luminosa
- Meredith Monk: Piano Songs
- Gretchen Peters: Blackbirds
- Louise Goffin: Appleonfire
- Mohammed Fairouz: Follow, Poet
- Michael J. Smith & Friends: The Spirit of Christmas
- Patty Larkin: Still Green
- Somi: The Lagos Music Salon
- The Barr Brothers: Sleeping Operator
- Lee Ann Womack: The Way I’m Livin’
- Montell Jordan: Captured
- Marco Benevento: Swift
Tag Archives: Columbia Records
Rodney Crowell’s "The Outsider" has been nominated for two Grammy Awards and deservedly so. After 9/11, Crowell decided it was time to write from the heart – like never before. The result is a CD that’s as political as it … Continue reading
Anna Nalick calls herself a songwriter-singer. Her debut CD on Columbia is filled with strong, heartfelt, pop-rock songs. She has a great voice and equally sharp songwriting style that she says is inspired by struggles and thoughts from her and … Continue reading
Bill Withers wrote some of the most memorable soul songs of the early 1970s. Columbia Legacy has just reissued 1972’s "Still Bill" and 1977’s "Managerie," enabling a new generation of fans and musicians to hear Wither’s emotionally honest and upfront … Continue reading
Though only 23, Vivian Green has been writing songs and working for years to launch her solo career. With "A Love Story," Green’s debut on Columbia, she has turned that page with a CD that showcases personal lyrics and her … Continue reading
Chris Whitley doesn’t consider himself a singer, or a songwriter, or a guitar player – even though that’s what he does. He’d call himself an ‘expressionist,’ akin to those early 20th century painters who wanted to evoke deeper feelings than … Continue reading
Michelle Williams, the first member of R&B super-group Destiny’s Child to release a solo CD, "Heart To Yours," has recorded a Gospel CD of inspirational songs with a decisively modern sound. Joined by other noted vocalists, including Shirley Ceasar, Mary … Continue reading