What is BehindTheBeat?
Listen and enjoy our library of over 600 audio portraits of artists and their albums for free.
These finely edited features present the music and voices of artists discussing their songs, their sounds, their bands, their lives and their creative influences.
Search below by artist name or by genre to hear your favorite musicians, and to discover new ones!
Now with over 2,500 audio segments bringing music fans, musicians and music closer together.
- Chuck Wicks: Turning Point
- Green River Ordinance: Fifteen
- Jack Wall: Call of Duty, Black Ops III
- Black Violin: Stereotypes
- Glen Hansard: Didn’t He Ramble
- Dominik Scherrer: The Missing
- Jonathan McReynolds: Life Music, Stage Two
- Bobby Long: Ode To Thinking
- Alicia Witt: Revisionary History
- Angaleena Presley: American Middle Class
- Pat McGee: Pat McGee
- John Anderson: Goldmine
- Whitey Morgan: Sonic Ranch
- Anat Cohen: Luminosa
- Meredith Monk: Piano Songs
- Gretchen Peters: Blackbirds
- Louise Goffin: Appleonfire
- Mohammed Fairouz: Follow, Poet
- Michael J. Smith & Friends: The Spirit of Christmas
- Patty Larkin: Still Green
- Somi: The Lagos Music Salon
- The Barr Brothers: Sleeping Operator
- Lee Ann Womack: The Way I’m Livin’
- Montell Jordan: Captured
- Marco Benevento: Swift
Tag Archives: Arhoolie Records
Arhoolie Records was founded in 1960. 40 years and 275 releases later, founder and "song snatcher" Chris Strachwitz has preserved a living tradition of American musical roots. The Arhoolie box set consists of 5 CDs with 107 tracks personally recorded … Continue reading
Koko Taylor’s latest CD, ‘Royal Blue,’ shows this remarkable blues singer stretching into new territory with her longtime musical collaborator and co-producer Criss Johnson. Taylor wanted a CD with a more modern blues sound, and she’s delivered an exciting and … Continue reading
Shemekia Copeland sings from the heart with a rare passion and a fiery voice that’s prompted critics to call her a ‘diva-in-the-making.’ But behind the big voice is a down-to-earth young woman who pens songs about the way she worried … Continue reading