What is BehindTheBeat?
Listen and enjoy our library of over 600 audio portraits of artists and their albums for free.
These finely edited features present the music and voices of artists discussing their songs, their sounds, their bands, their lives and their creative influences.
Search below by artist name or by genre to hear your favorite musicians, and to discover new ones!
Now with over 2,500 audio segments bringing music fans, musicians and music closer together.
- Chuck Wicks: Turning Point
- Green River Ordinance: Fifteen
- Jack Wall: Call of Duty, Black Ops III
- Black Violin: Stereotypes
- Glen Hansard: Didn’t He Ramble
- Dominik Scherrer: The Missing
- Jonathan McReynolds: Life Music, Stage Two
- Bobby Long: Ode To Thinking
- Alicia Witt: Revisionary History
- Angaleena Presley: American Middle Class
- Pat McGee: Pat McGee
- John Anderson: Goldmine
- Whitey Morgan: Sonic Ranch
- Anat Cohen: Luminosa
- Meredith Monk: Piano Songs
- Gretchen Peters: Blackbirds
- Louise Goffin: Appleonfire
- Mohammed Fairouz: Follow, Poet
- Michael J. Smith & Friends: The Spirit of Christmas
- Patty Larkin: Still Green
- Somi: The Lagos Music Salon
- The Barr Brothers: Sleeping Operator
- Lee Ann Womack: The Way I’m Livin’
- Montell Jordan: Captured
- Marco Benevento: Swift
Category Archives: Folk
Patty Larkin’s Still Green is an intimate exploration of loss, grief, appreciation and beauty. The 13th recording in a storied folk-pop career comes after illness and death in her family. Larkin wrote songs to process her feelings and experiences in … Continue reading
Cory Branan is a fantastic songwriter who should be better known than he is. That circumstance is partly behind the title of his fourth CD, The No-Hit Wonder, which also celebrates other unsung artists, the fantastic women in his life, … Continue reading
Mary Chapin Carpenter has had a fantastic and acclaimed career as a singer-songwriter. But her latest album fulfills a lifelong dream—recording 10 beloved songs with an orchestra. On Songs From The Movie, Carpenter collaborated with six-time Grammy winner Vince Mendoza, … Continue reading
The Milk Carton Kids is a California-based duo whose album, The Ash & Clay, is nominated for a 2013 Grammy for the best folk recording. Singers and guitarists Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan play quiet, alluring songs that feature their … Continue reading
Lucy Wainwright Roche did not know what she would write about on There’s A Last Time For Everything. But she ended up writing about the moments when relationships disintegrate or don’t seem destined to recover. Her voice is so magnificent … Continue reading
Robbie Fulks’ Gone Away Backward presents a master songwriter, vocalist and guitarist in range of evocative acoustic settings that will delight county and roots music fans. His songs are filled with earnest, even novelistic, portraits of people on the margins … Continue reading
Among The Oak & Ash is Josh Joplin and Garrison Starr, two singer-songwriters drawn to the drama and darkness in traditional American and British folk songs. Their self-titled CD recasts many songs in moody and evocative folk-rock settings. The result … Continue reading