What is BehindTheBeat?
Listen and enjoy our library of over 600 audio portraits of artists and their albums for free.
These finely edited features present the music and voices of artists discussing their songs, their sounds, their bands, their lives and their creative influences.
Search below by artist name or by genre to hear your favorite musicians, and to discover new ones!
Now with over 2,500 audio segments bringing music fans, musicians and music closer together.
- Chuck Wicks: Turning Point
- Green River Ordinance: Fifteen
- Jack Wall: Call of Duty, Black Ops III
- Black Violin: Stereotypes
- Glen Hansard: Didn’t He Ramble
- Dominik Scherrer: The Missing
- Jonathan McReynolds: Life Music, Stage Two
- Bobby Long: Ode To Thinking
- Alicia Witt: Revisionary History
- Angaleena Presley: American Middle Class
- Pat McGee: Pat McGee
- John Anderson: Goldmine
- Whitey Morgan: Sonic Ranch
- Anat Cohen: Luminosa
- Meredith Monk: Piano Songs
- Gretchen Peters: Blackbirds
- Louise Goffin: Appleonfire
- Mohammed Fairouz: Follow, Poet
- Michael J. Smith & Friends: The Spirit of Christmas
- Patty Larkin: Still Green
- Somi: The Lagos Music Salon
- The Barr Brothers: Sleeping Operator
- Lee Ann Womack: The Way I’m Livin’
- Montell Jordan: Captured
- Marco Benevento: Swift
Monthly Archives: June 2003
When it comes to great soul albums of the 1960s, the music of vocalist Howard Tate and writer-arranger Jerry Ragovoy is among the very best. Today, 30 years after Tate left the music business, the pair have returned with a … Continue reading
Jennifer Higdon and Christopher Theofanidis are two composers whose works for orchestras have generated excitement and acclaim. Each has one composition on "Rainbow Body," a Telarc release, featuring Robert Spano conducting the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. Both works are alternately contemplative … Continue reading
Greta Gertler is an Australian singer-songwriter living in New York. Her debut CD, "The Baby That Brought Bad Weather," showcases her compelling voice and evocative Wurlitzer keys set against 1970s-style orchestral pop. The songs are lush, the production well-crafted. All … Continue reading
For 30 years, Ray Benson has been bandleader of Asleep at the Wheel, a freewheeling Western Swing band and nine-time Grammy winner. Benson has always written songs about matters close to his heart, but "Beyond Time" is his first solo … Continue reading
"Even Closer," the debut recording from Oakland, California’s Goapele Mohlabane, is an alluring mix of introspective, romantic and political songs from a notable young jazz and soul singer. Goapele’s voice is set against a range of sparse but sophisticated urban- … Continue reading